Sunday, October 23, 2011

Green Olive Hummus

I bought some hummus at the store over the weekend and I always try to buy something different to try new things which led to a lemon flavored hummus.  I was so disappointed!!  I've never met a hummus I didn't like until the other day :(  So, I decided I was going to make my own hummus.  I have so many olives in my fridge of all different varieties, and the ones that get used the least were the stuffed queen Spanish olives.  They were going to be my victim.  Hummus is not only naturally vegan, but it is also naturally gluten free and one of the easiest, most versatile things to make!  You can use it as a dip for pita bread, veggies, a spread on sandwiches, or even a spread for bagels.



Green Olive Hummus


1 15oz Can Garbanzo Beans, drained and rinsed
1/4 Cup Tahini
1/2 to 3/4 Cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil (for consistency)
Juice of 1 Lemon
1/2 to 1 Cup Green Olives (to taste)


In a food processor, blend the garbanzo beans as much as you can.  You may need to scrape down the sides to get all of the chunks.  It's ok if you can't get it smooth, it will smooth over when you add more ingredients.  Add the tahini, and 1/2 cup of the olive oil.  It's best to drizzle the olive oil into the mixture as the food processor is running.  If the mixture is still chunky, keep adding bits of olive oil until it's a smooth texture that looks almost creamy.  Add lemon juice and 1/2 cup of the olives.  Blend together until well combined.  Do a taste test, if you'd like a more olivey dip, add the rest of the olives and blend to combine.  To serve the hummus, place the dip in a serving bowl, and drizzle with olive oil and chopped olives on top. 

No comments:

Post a Comment