Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Asparagus Soup

While rummaging through the grocery store trying to find some fresh veggies to cook for dinner with $20 in my wallet and my carnivorous boyfriend in toe, I was panicking a little.  The boyfriend's palate isn't as diverse as mine, even though he'll eat anything I cook. And to top it off, the man hates onions.  I made eggplant parmesan last weekend which he was quite nervous about at first but smashed all of it, even my left overs.  Score!  Nothing makes me happier than feeding a meat eater and having them crave more <3 Anyways, Asparagus was on sale - I found my victim :)  But how was I going to make a soup without an onion base??  I always use onions!!  AND when I tried using shallots instead, he obviously wasn't fooled even though technically shallots are in the garlic family.  I searched, read the backs of soup cans, and even called my mother who loves cooking more than I do then *BAM* it hit me!  LEEKS!  I used leeks in the last soup I made him!  AND they would taste delicious next to asparagus!  Yay!!

1 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 Medium Leek, Diced
1 Garlic Clove, Minced
1 Bunch of Asparagus, Trimmed and Chopped
3 Small White Potatoes, Chopped
Salt & Pepper to Taste
2 Cans of Vegetable Stock
1/4 to 1/2 Cup of half & half or plain vegan creamer

Heat oil in a soup pot over medium heat.  Add leeks and saute until fragrant.  Add garlic, asparagus, and potatoes.  Cook for about 5 to 10 minutes or until potatoes start to get translucent.  Add salt and pepper to taste.  Stir in vegetable stock and cook, simmering, for about 15 to 20 minutes.  Blend to desired thickness with either an emmersion blender or a regular blender.  Add half & half and stir to combine.  Do a taste test to see if any more salt or pepper is needed and add accordingly.  Serve hot!!

*I served this with homemade garlic bread to not only the boyfriend but his meat eating friends and it was a success!!  Men like it.  Score one for me :)

No comments:

Post a Comment